Even with the best conversion rates in the world, you won’t convert every visitor from your other PPC ad campaigns (search, shopping, display, video) into a lead or customer at first-pass. Let’s say you have a strong 10% conversion rate from click to customer – that still leaves 90% of the traffic you’re paying for as non-converted.
Do you just give up on that 90%? Of course not! You complement your other PPC campaigns with remarketing ads to bring users back to convert at the right moment. They just need a little convincing or reminding.
Remarketing is quite a broad term in the PPC space because it has so many different potential ways of being done. With Google Ads, you can target remarketing audiences via banner, video, text ad, or even Gmail ad campaign types. Facebook remarketing ads offer the same ability across its assorted platforms including Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Messenger.
Often the unsung hero of many online advertising initiatives, remarketing will quietly hoover up additional leads and customers for you 30, 60, or even 90 days after a user initially visits your site but fails to convert. As a remarketing ads agency, we see a lot of businesses miss out on this fantastic opportunity with their PPC strategy.
Remarketing was a relative late-comer to the PPC world, debuting in 2008 on Google Ads, eight years after Google launched AdWords. For the first year or two no-one really understood how it worked!
You can exclude existing customers from seeing your remarketing ads, and place a frequency cap to control how many times a person will see your ad.
Unless you opt-out, most of your online activity is tracked via pieces of code that advertisers place on their site. The common term for this is ‘cookies’, which are stored in your browser. Once you’re cookied, you can be targeted with ads.
They essentially mean the same thing – following up with someone who visited with you to get them to complete a lead form or purchase. If we are being pedantic about it, technically retargeting is more widely accepted as the form of ‘ads’ follow-up, whilst remarketing is ‘non-ads’ follow-up, such as email. But we just prefer to use the overarching term of remarketing here.